Applying to the Honors Program
Admission to the honors program is competitive. Outstanding International Studies majors must apply in Spring quarter of their junior year. Acceptance into the program is based on strength of the proposed research, demonstrated background in relevant courses and research methods for the proposed research, and the student’s demonstrated ability as an independent and critical thinker. Students are also required to maintain a cumulative GPA above 3.3 overall and 3.5 in the major throughout the program.
The International Studies Honors Program application includes:
- Application Form includes demographic information, GPA (IS and overall), proposed project title, 2-3 sentence summary of research question, language skills, research awards/grants, study abroad programs, and faculty advisor
- Copy of unofficial transcript
- A Letter of Support from your thesis advisor
Application to IS Honors Program 2020-2021
The deadline to apply for the 2020-2021 Honors Program is Wednesday, April 22, 2020.
Professor Ian Hurd, the Director of International Studies and Honors, is available to meet with students as they work to develop their proposals.
Students should also seek advice from other faculty at Northwestern, as well as the Global Café mentors.
- 2019-2020 Honors Application
- Helpful guides on writing a thesis
- Northwestern’s The Writing Place
- Office of Fellowships
- Office of Undergraduate Research
- Global Café Mentors